Regional

2 dead, others hospitalized after eating Pufferfish

Police in the Eastern Region have begun investigations into the death of a man and a woman who died shortly after consuming a meal containing Puffer-fish.

The puffer fish is known to be extremely poisonous if not prepared correctly for consumption.

The fish’s poison, tetrodotoxin, is found in the skin, skeleton, ovaries, intestines and the liver.
The two deceased persons, 78-year-old Agbobli Veronica and Tagbolu Forgive, aged 48, both residents of Abotanso, a community in the Afram Plains North District, died few moments after consuming the fish meal.

Four others, who are relatives of the two, Tagbolu Gracious, Kofi Opare, Agbobli Peace and Agbobli Kofi, who also ate the meal are currently receiving treatment at the Donkorkrom Presbyterian Hospital after they were rushed there by neighbours.

The Eastern Regional Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ebenezer Tetteh, said police needed to establish that the fish indeed killed the two persons.

“Police in Afram Plains were informed that some two individuals who are relatives had died after consuming a meal made with a fish called puffer. It is believed that the fish which is alleged to be poisonous caused their death, but we are yet to conclude that is the case.”

“We have commenced investigations into the incident and we are carefully monitoring the situation at the hospital and awaiting a doctor’s report. Arrangements are also being made to convey the bodies of the deceased to the police hospital in Accra for autopsy and further reports.”

DSP Ebenezer Tetteh also advised residents to stay away from fish they are not familiar with.

“We are working with other relevant agencies who are directly or indirectly related to this, I will, therefore use this medium to caution residents in that area to remain calm, but at this moment desist from consuming any fish they are not familiar with to avoid any further complications as we speed up with our investigations.”

Previous warning

Fisheries Commission has warned Ghanaians against eating any product on the market made with the Puffer fish due to its poisonous nature.

A 64-year old farmer died after eating the puffer fish in January 2018.

Six members of his family at Nkonya in the Volta Region also fell sick.

The Food and Drugs Authority has also been working with the Ministry of Fisheries and other agencies to intensify education on the dangers of consuming the Pufferfish.

Do you want to be featured on Asempanews.com? Send us a message on our Facebook page now with your stories, photos or videos.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *