A Former International Boxing Federation (IBF) World bantamweight champion, Joseph King Kong Agbeko, says he is hopeful of landing himself a world title shot with a win over Hashimu Zuberi on April 19, at the Aborigines Beach Resort at Keta.
Agbeko, who will be making his second defence of the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa bantamweight title against the Tanzanian, expressed the hope that the weeks of hard work put into the preparations would yield a successful result with a defeat of his opponent in their slugfest.
Currently ranked No. 2 by the WBO, Agbeko (35-5, 26 KOs) said he was working tirelessly to ensure that he won comfortably against Zuberi to pave the way for a world title shot.
The boxer who became a world champion in 2007 told the Graphic Sports that his recent exploits in the ring were part of plans to land himself a possible fight with WBO bantamweight champion, Zolani Tete.
“I am currently ranked number two by the WBO and I think a win against my opponent should land me a possible world title shot against the champion.
“It will be an interesting as well as an uncompromising fight, but I’m hopeful of defeating my opponent in my second defence. I am confident with the kind of training I’m having,” noted Agbeko who lost his world title to Mexican Abner Marez in 2011.
He later claimed the vacant IBO bantamweight title after a unanimous points victory over Colombian Luis Melendez at the Accra stadium on March 22, 2013.
Agbeko will be mounting the ring for the first time in seven months since knocking out compatriot, Ekow Wilson in his first defence last September in Ho.
He defeated Frank Kiwalabye to win the WBO continental title in March last year in the effort to relaunch his career at the world level.