Caretaker Finance Minister Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu has said in pursuit of the government’s health infrastructure drive, including ‘Agenda 111’, the ministry has awarded contracts for the construction of 101 district hospitals, seven regional hospitals and three psychiatric hospitals.
The Majority Leader told Parliament when he presented this year’s budget that the implementation of these projects will continue within the year.
In addition, the Minister of Parliamentary Affairs said the following health infrastructure projects were completed in 2020:
▪ Staff Housing for 4 District Hospitals at Twifo-Praso, Tepa, Nsawkaw and Bekwai District Hospital;
▪ District Hospitals in Sawla, Tolon, Somanya, Buipe and Wheta and a Polyclinic in Bamboi; and
▪ Nine CHPS Compounds at Wiaboman- Greater Accra Region, Antwirifo-Bono Region, Kofiasua-Bono Region, Mantewareso Bono-Ahafo Region, Amakyekrom-Bono Region, Mewerenfiwuo-Bono Region, Samproso-Ashanti Region, Koforidua (Near Offinso)-Ashanti Region, Akaaso-Western Region.
According to the Suame MP, to “expand the health workforce, the government recruited 58,191 personnel into the various agencies in the health sector”.
“Out of this, 50,970 were permanent staff and the remaining 7,221 were temporary workers in 2020”.
He said the government will continue with the construction of the following health infrastructure projects this year:
• Koforidua Regional Hospital;
• Shama District Hospital;
• La General Hospital;
• Tema Regional Hospital;
• Reconstruction of the Central Medical Store;
• District Hospital Nkoranza; and
• Accident and Emergency Center Dormaa Hospital.