With Covid-19 cases still being recorded in the country, President Akufo-Addo has yet again cancelled Easter celebrations this year.
The President in his Easter address to the nation on Thursday morning pleaded with Ghanaians to endure yet another quiet Easter this year.
“Last year, due to the onset of the pandemic, we had a muted Easter celebration and we all agree that the usual festivities associated with Easter had to be cancelled.
“We were faced with an unknown foe and we, therefore, had to take the difficult but necessary decisions to protect our lives and livelihoods,” he said.
He further stated that “devoid of public gatherings, and the merrymaking that characterises this season, there will, therefore, be no Easter conventions, picnics, or parties or gathering at the beaches.”
He said churches can host service not longer than 2 hours, while strictly observing the requisite social distancing rules.
“Night clubs, cinemas, and pubs continue to be closed. Funerals, concerts, theatrical performances and parties are banned,” President Akufo-Addo reiterated.
These places have been closed since the country was placed under lockdown in March 2020.
“Private burials with no more than 25 people can take place with the enforcement of the social distancing, hygiene and mask wearing protocols. Spectators are still banned from going to the stadia to watch football matches.”
He added that the police will ensure that everyone conforms to the restrictions and that persons found breaking the law will be dealt with in accordance to the law.
“Government together with the security service will make sure that this time, these gains are protected.”
With barely some few days into the Easter festivities, President Akufo-Addo urged Ghanaians to “be each other’s keeper until Covid-19 is eradicated and poses no more threats to our lives and livelihoods”.