Arrest of Citi FM Journalist: Security officers breached standard operating procedures – Ministry

The Ministry of National Security has reversed the secondment of Lieutenant Colonel Frank Agyeman as Director of Operations to its outfit.

Lt. Col. Agyeman has been directed to report to the Chief of Defence Staff for further investigation and appropriate action.

This is contained in a press release that announced the outcome of investigations into the arrest and subsequent manhandling of Citi FM Journalist, Caleb Kudah by operatives of the National Security Ministry.

Three police officers involved in the incident have also been released to report to the Ghana Police for investigation and disciplinary action for inappropriate conduct in respect of the aforementioned case.

The statement, signed by Mr Albert Kan-Dapaah, the Minister of National Security, said the Committee set up by the Ministry to investigate a report of the arrest of Mr Kudah on May 11, established that the conduct of Lt. Col. Agyeman, and the police officers was inappropriate and contravened the Ministry’s standard operating procedures.

It said the Committee also established that the journalist’s entry into the premises of the Ministry of National security was unlawful.

“The Ministry of National Security wishes to assure the public, and particularly, all media practitioners that the Ministry will expeditiously investigate any complaints against any personnel of its Agency,” the statement said.

“The tenets of National Security in Ghana should be based on a whole-of-Government and a whole-of-society approach and cooperation from all well-meaning Ghanaians”, it added.

It assured the public that measures would continue to be taken to ensure the highest professional standards to engender public trust.

Mr Kudah reported that he was manhandled by the officers when he was arrested for secretly filming some vehicles parked at the precincts of the Ministry.

Some security officers, subsequently, stormed the offices of CitiFM in Accra to retrieve the footage Mr Kudah had sent to his colleague, Ms Zoe Abu Baidoo.

The incident led to public outcry and criticisms against the perpetrators, as well as calls for reforms by the security agencies in the manner they handle suspects.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *