General

Coronavirus: Ghana shuts borders Sunday – Akufo-Addo

President Nana Akufo-Addo has announced further measures to tighten the noose on the coronavirus outbreak in Ghana, including shutting all the country’s borders and entry ports from Sunday and also mandatorily quarantining all passengers who will enter the country before Sunday’s border closure.

So far, the country, according to the President, has recorded cases with one death.

Addressing the nation on Saturday, President Akufo-Addo said: “All our borders; by land, sea and air, will be closed to human traffic for the next two weeks beginning midnight on Sunday”.

As far as incoming travellers are concerned, the President said starting from tonight, anyone entering Ghana before the borders and entry points are closed on Sunday, would be mandatorily quarantined.

“Everyone who comes into the country before Sunday will be mandatorily quarantined and tested for the virus,” he announced.

“Fellow Ghanaians”, the President noted, “All that the government is doing is intended to achieve five key objectives: limit and stop the importation of the virus, contain its spread, provide adequate care for the sick, limit the impact of the virus on social and economic life, and inspire the expansion of our domestic capabilities and deepen our self-reliance.”

“The Ministry of health is mobilising new and retired healthcare professionals to augment our preparedness in dealing with a possible surge in infections. It is heartening to hear the number of retired healthcare professionals who have stepped forward to offer their services,” he said.

Meanwhile, a Lebanese who reported at a hospital in Ghana with symptoms of the disease, has died.

He is the first of the country’s coronavirus patients to succumb.

The deceased trader, is said to have reported to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital with a fever and cough.

Ghana’s three latest cases, all imported, according to the Ghana Health Service, were confirmed on Friday, 20 March 2020.

They were picked up in the Greater Accra and Ashanti Regions.

Two of the three latest patients are UK-based Ghanaian women who returned to Ghana two weeks ago.

One is 55 years old while the other is 84 years old.

The third is a 27-year-old Chinese man who touched down in Accra.

As part of efforts to combat the spread, President Nana Akufo-Addo, last week, announced a few restrictions including a ban on social gatherings.

According to Worldometers, 304,035 cases have been recorded so far globally with 12,977 deaths while 94,674 people have fully recovered.

Source: Classfmonline.com

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *