Ejura violence would’ve been worse if I were in town – MCE

The Municipal Chief Executive for Ejura-Sekyedumase in the Ashanti Region, Mohammed Salisu Bamba believes that the recent riot in Ejura following the death of Social activist, Ibrahim Mohammed alias Kaaka would have been worse if he were to be in town.

According to the MCE who had traveled to Accra at the time of the disturbance, he was advised by the security officials not to come to Ejura for his own safety as he was a target of an attack.

On Thursday when he appeared before the Committee of Inquiry probing the killings in Ejura, Hon. Bamba said he was confident that his presence would have made matters worse

“Actually I got to Mampong when I had a call that I shouldn’t come to Ejura for security reasons. After the security advice, I mentioned in my testimony that I proceeded to Ejura that was after 29th June.

Asked if he found himself in danger, Hon. Bamba responded, “personally no.”

The Chairman of the Committee further asked “So why didn’t you continue to Ejura because if you are a father and somebody tells you that your house is being attacked with your wife and children in the house, you decide not to go there because if you go something might happen to you,”?

He responded, “The security on the ground, we work together so if they advise me and I don’t listen to the advice when something happens they’ll say they advised me and he didn’t heed to our advice.”

The Court of Appeal Judge again asked “If you were in present in Ejura, things might have changed.”

But Hon. Bamba replied “Actually looking at how the whole environment was polarized it could have been worse. When the incident happened I was the first person that they were trying to link the suspects to. They instigated the youth against the police, I heard the police addressing a warning letter to Kaaka. They were even linking the warning letter to me that I instructed the police to issue a warning letter.”

Two people last week Tuesday were shot dead while four others sustained various degrees of injuries at Ejura after security officers opened fire on angry youth protesting the murder of social activist Muhammed Ibrahim popularly known as Kaaka.

He is said to have had his head clubbed in his home Friday night by the assailants until he became unconscious and was rushed to the Ejura Government Hospital.

Kaaka was later transferred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi where he died last week Monday afternoon.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *