A 56-year-old man, Mr Samuel Kwadwo Fordjour, has burnt to death in a fire outbreak at Asafo Dadiesoba in the Kumasi Metropolis of the Ashanti Region.
The fire started from the bedroom of the late Fordjour around 12:15 am on Thursday, 17 June 2021, and spread to other rooms on the first floor of the storey building.
Other occupants in the building were able to run to safety but the caretaker was trapped and burnt alive.
An uncle of the late Fordjour, Mr Philip Kwame Oppong, told Kumasi FM’s Elisha Adarkwah that they did their best to break into the room to save him after they heard him screaming for help but could not due to the intense nature of the inferno.
He said though they called the fire service early, they could not arrive at the scene on time.
In all, six out of 10 bedrooms on the first floor of the 23-bedroom storey building and its content were completely burnt while the rest were partially burnt.
The Public Relations Officer of the Regional Fire Service, DOIII Ackah Desmond, told Elisha Adarkwah that firefighters from Kyerepatre, Komfo Anokye, and Manhyia fire stations combatted the fire after they received a distress call.
He said the fire was caused by an unattended-to electrical water heater that overheated and ignited the fire.
The charred body of the deceased has been conveyed to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital morgue for preservation.