Did you know that consuming sorrel drink ‘sobolo’ offers a lot of health benefits? It has been found to lower blood pressure in pre-hypertensive persons.
Sorrel flowers are imbibed with anti-inflammatory properties and hence have been proven to reduce blood pressure by up to about 10 points.
It also has diuretic properties that increase urination, simultaneously lowering blood pressure.
Now, sorrel drink “sobolo” is an incredibly refreshing drink made from the flowers of sorrel plant.
It is ideal for drink ups, snacking; so anytime you feel like gulping down some chilled juice, you could consider choosing ‘sobolo’.
If you’re looking to be refreshed on a very sunny day, sip a glass of sobolo to calm your nerves!
Recipe for Sorrel drink
2 cups of dried sorrel
10 cups of water
Half cup of sugar (sweeten to your taste )
2 medium sized fresh ginger crushed
1/2 cup lemon juice
1. Wash sorrel to remove any foreign matter like dried leaves, but be quick with it before all the colour seeps out of it! That’s the main content of the drink.
2. Wash ginger thoroughly and crush to allow easy release of juice into the drink
3. Cut about 2 lemons in halves and squeeze out the juice into a cup
4. Wash cloves and set aside
To get stated
1. Place all ingredients except sugar in a clean large saucepan. This is important as the mixture tends to froth and bubble up
2. Boil for approximately 20 minutes or until the sepals looks translucent to white in colour
3. Turn off heat, add sugar and stir to it dissolves completely, cover and allow it to sit for at least 5 hours or till it cool down.
4. Strain the mixture and pour into empty bottles and refrigerate.
5. If you’re ready to enjoy your ‘sobolo’ add some ice cubes and start the fun!
NOTE: You can add more ginger and cloves for a more ‘spicy flavour’. You can also experiment by adding natural juice of fruits like pineapple, oranges or apples if you want to give it a creative twist. And if you want an alcoholic alternative, you can add just a little bit of vodka to taste. Enjoy!!!