Politics

No Ghanaian will be disenfranchised – Pius Hadzide

Deputy Minister of Information, Pius Enam Hadzide says resistance by the opposition NDC and other pressure groups against the Electoral Commission over its compilation of the new voters’ register are flawed and not grounded in law.

Speaking to Roland Walker on JoyNews’ AM Show Tuesday, Mr. Hadzide said all fears that Ghanaian citizens of voting age could be excluded from registering are baseless.

According to him, adequate measures have been put in place to ensure that various options are made available to qualify for the registration exercise.

The “NDC lost the debate from the beginning when you trace violations of the EC prior to 2012 in registering voters who used documents not stipulated in its C.I.”, the Deputy Information Minister said.

“No Ghanaian will be disenfranchised in this exercise because the Electoral Commission has put various options in place including bringing guarantors.”

But the MP for Builsa South, Dr. Clement Apaak, who was also on the show, was not enthused.

According to him, “there are millions of Ghanaians who don’t have access to a passport or the National ID Card”, meaning they can’t get access to the register”, he said.

“If they have to wait for some two guarantors who themselves have to register before they can do that, then we will prevent them from registering in time” Dr. Apaak insisted .

He added: “concerns over thousands of voters not getting registered are real and should not be belittled”.

The Electoral Commission of Ghana has always insisted that only a new voters’ register can ensure Ghana has a credible 2020 elections.

Already, the Commission has conducted a pilot process across the country.

Based on its timelines, the Commission is expected to begin the registration of new voters in the last week of June 2020.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *