Former Ghana Football Association president, Kwesi Nyantakyi has revealed that he was put to sleep in the Anas Aremeyaw Anas documentary dubbed “Number 12”.
Anas’ latest exposé dubbed “Number 12” which captures many referees and key officials within the association in compromising positions has caused a shakeup in the country’s football space.
Mr Nyantakyi was recorded taking a cash gift of $65,000 and negotiating a sponsorship deal with potential investors who turned out to be investigators.
The former CAF 1st vice president was caught on tape giving ‘too much’ information to what he thought were possible investors but turned out to be members of Anas’ TigerEyePI crew.
In Anas’ Number12 exposé, Mr Nyantakyi was secretly recorded bragging about his seeming easy access to the President and his Vice, a situation he suggested would aid secure the potential investor whichever sector in the economy they choose to invest in.
He bragged about securing a meeting with the President, The Vice President as well as Roads Minister Kwasi Amoako-Atta, only if an amount of $11 million could be made available to be split among the aforementioned.
He revealed conversations he allegedly had with Deputy Roads Minister, Anthony Karbo, indicating that if certain amounts were made available to the President and his Vice, the investor would have it easy with his endeavours in the country.
This among other things he said would facilitate a solid business relationship between the parties, guaranteeing the investor of bigger and more lucrative deals in the country.
Following the premiere of the Number 12 investigative piece, a section of Ghanaians were shocked after they witnessed GFA officials, referees, football administrators and those in the Sports Ministry, entrusted with a mandate to manage Ghana football, take money from people for personal gains.
Many were especially disappointed in Mr Nyantakyi who has not more than once successfully debunked rumours about him being corrupt in the past.
Ahead of the premiering of the documentary at the Accra International Conference Centre last week Wednesday, Bechem United Chief Executive Officer, Kingsley Osei Bonsu popularly known as Lord Zico has revealed that the Mr Nyantakyi met the Executive Committee of the Ghana Football Association at the MPlaza Hotel on Tuesday to disclose what transpired in his conversation with the TigerEyePI agent in Dubai.
According to Mr Zico, Mr Nyantakyi confessed that he was charmed by the undercover journalist.
On Friday, June 8, the Ethics Committee of FIFA slapped Mr Nyantakyi with a 90-day ban and relinquished his position as the president of the Ghana Football Association.
The embattled football administrator on Monday, June 11, resigned as CAF 1st vice president and the WAFU Zone B president.
However, in an audio recording, Nyantakyi thanked God for everything that has happened revealing that he grew up in a deprived and he is grateful for how far God has brought him.
However, Kwesi Nyantakyi has issued an apology t the personalities he used their names in the video but admitted no wrongdoing.
Below is his statement
“I hereby apologise unreservedly to the father of the Nation, H.E. Nana Akufo Addo, H.E. the Vice President, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia, Hon. Ministers and Deputy Ministers of State for indiscretion in associating them with the private conversations on the video.”
“I wish to clarify that at no time prior to or subsequent to any deliberations on the video did I consult, contact or inform any Government official about discussions on the video. I take sole and personal responsibility for the proceedings on the video.”
“I wish to apologise to my family, work colleagues, friends, associates and the people of Ghana for the disappointment my indiscretion has caused them. This is by no means an admission of wrongdoing for issues on the video”, Mr Nyantakyi said in a statement sent to the GFA General Secretary on Friday.
Do you want to be featured on Asempanews.com? Send us a message on our Facebook page now with your stories, photos or videos.