Ronaldo rape claim: Police seek striker’s DNA
Authorities in Las Vegas have issued a warrant to obtain DNA from Cristiano Ronaldo after claims he raped a woman.
The Las Vegas Police Department want to see if it matches a sample found on the dress of Kathryn Mayorga, who has made the accusations against the Portuguese striker.
The dress forms part of box of evidence that includes a sexual assault kit that tested the former model for signs of rape at the time of the alleged attack in June 2009.
The Wall Street Journal claims that the police have issued the warrant to the Italian courts, where the striker currently plays for Juventus.
Sources close to the former Manchester United star, who has vehemently denied her claims, say he is willing to cooperate.
Ronaldo is accused of raping the woman in a Las Vegas hotel room before telling her “I’m usually a gentleman”, court documents claim.
American Ms Mayorga says the Portuguese star attacked her in 2009, claims the £100m Juventus forward strongly denies.
The Portuguese star, who was in Sin City just weeks after leaving Old Trafford for Real Madrid, has vehemently denied the claims labelling them “fake news”.
In an instagram post last year Ronaldo appeared to address the incident, saying: “No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news.”
The alleged rape took place in June 2009 in a hotel room in Las Vegas.
The dress – a key piece of evidence – has been retained by investigators.
Las Vegas police reopened the case after Ms Mayorga filed a lawsuit against the former Real Madrid player.
The striker has always denied the allegations.
Tonight his lawyer released a statement saying: “Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in 2009 in Las Vegas was consensual in nature, so it is not surprising DNA would be present nor that the police would make this very standard request part of their investigation.”
Ms Mayora was 25 at the time and working for a nightclub inside the Palms Casino, in which Ronaldo, his brother in a law and cousin were in the VIP area on June 13, 2009.
Pictures show the Ronaldo and Ms Mayorga chatting before he invited her to his penthouse room to “enjoy the view of the Las Vegas strip”.
The suite has a jacuzzi and while Ms Mayorga was changing, the court papers seen by German publication Der Spiegel claim he walked in, exposed himself and asked her to engage in a sex act.
At the time Mayorga was interviewed by police she refused to name her alleged attacker at the time seeing the sexual assault kit never being processed.
In her civil claim, her lawyer, Leslie Stovall, claimed she was too afraid to name Ronaldo, 33, after a nurse and a detective told her “she would be subjected to retaliation and publicly humiliated” if she ever revealed his name.
Instead her then legal team contacted Ronaldo’s attorney who between them brokered a £288,000 settlement which forbid her from ever discussing the alleged incident.
In an interview with Der Spiegel Ms Mayorga claimed: “After he assaulted me, he wouldn’t let me leave. And he was calling me, ‘Baby, baby’.
“He gave me this look, this guilty look. Almost like he felt bad. I don’t remember but I’m pretty sure he said, ‘Sorry’, or, ‘Are you hurt?’
During the alleged incident, she claimed Ronaldo fell to his knees and said he was “99 per cent a good guy” who was let down by the “one per cent”.
Mayorga told Der Spiegel she no longer felt bound by the non-disclosure agreement.
“I’ve had like these serious breakdowns,” she told the magazine. “And again, blaming of the rape. And I blame him, and I blame myself for signing that thing.”
Under Nevada law there is no statute of limitations on investigations into rape claims.
Now the case has been reopened experts have tested the evidence she provided,
An attorney for Mayorga and a Las Vegas police spokeswoman didn’t respond to requests for comment.