Sankore will defend itself with guns if… – Chief threatens
Cutlass wielding youth disrupted a National Peace Council’s International Peace day program at Sankore in the Brong Ahafo Region, destroying chairs and other properties in the process.
It is not clear what prompted the attack on the program that climaxes on Saturday morning.
Media persons together with guests took to their heels as the angry youth destroyed properties at the event grounds.
Some of the town folks told media Precious Semevor that there is nothing much to it but the usual altercations between the two major political parties – National Democratic Congress (NDC) and New Patriotic Party (NPP) – in the region.
He said the residents believe the attackers think the event is being spearheaded by the governing NPP, hence their action.
According to him, as the journalists were fleeing for their lives, they met the police coming from the nearby Kokum township who took them back to the event grounds.
No arrest has so far been made and the police say they are still investigating the occurrence.
The reporter said the residents in the area knew about the attackers and took to their heels immediately they saw them coming.
They have been tight-lipped since the incidence for fear that they may be attacked.
Organizers of the event told the media the unfortunate occurrence won’t affect their bid to spread peace to the residents of Sankora by staging the programme.
The Chief of Sankore, Nana Ogyedom Appiak Kubi Pabo Katakye IV, told Joy News the residents will be forced to start defending themselves with guns if the government cannot end the continuous violence in the area.
He said they will no longer allow people to terrorise them.
The angry chief, together with other chiefs in Asunafo South in the Brong Ahafo Region, blamed politicians for the unending situation at Sankore.