Over one million workers who are Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) contributors have merged their SSNIT numbers with their Ghana card numbers.
However, some Ghanaians are yet to do the merger and, therefore, Mr Charles Garshong, Acting Public Affairs Manager of SSNIT, has called on all contributors who have not yet merged their numbers to do so before the 31 December 2021 deadline.
The merger, according to Mr Garshong, is to consolidate the government’s effort at using the Ghana card for all transactions.
The SSNIT card will be obsolete, as the Ghana card number replaces it, once the merger is successful.
“If we can use one card for everything, why have two? The SSNIT card is to identify you but if the Ghana card is for the same purpose, we decided to merge the numbers. Why carry two cards when one card can serve both purposes?” Mr Gershong asked on the Ghana Yensom show on Accra100.5FM on Monday, 20 December 2021.
Talking about the advantages of the merger, Mr Garshong noted that it is for convenience, since only the Ghana card number is required to transact business with SSNIT.
“You save the stress of carrying many national IDs everywhere you go, it helps with easy identification of nominated dependents and you’ll save money because there’s no payment for SSNIT cards anymore,” he stated.
The merger began in June this year.
Below are the steps for the merger:
- First Dial 7119# on your mobile phone.
- Then Select option 1.
- Afterwards, enter your SSNIT number.
- Then enter your Ghana card number without the hyphen and press send (E.g. GHA870000005)
- Then select option 1 to finalise the merger of your SSNIT number and Ghana card (NIA) number.
- Log onto the SSNIT website https://www.ssnit.org.gh and click the ‘My Statement’.
- Log in by filling the required fields and click Sign In. (Click on Get Access if you don’t have an account or click on Forgot Password if you have forgotten your password then sign in).
- At the My Statement page, click on Merge my NIA Number.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click Submit and Continue.
- Enter your NIA Number (Personal ID Number on the Ghana Card) and click Submit. You will receive a notification after the merger.
Persons who are unable to merge their numbers have been urged to call 0302611622 or WhatsApp 0500003050 for assistance.