The untold story of how Mahama used GNPC as money making venture
The sharp-witted New Patriotic Party’s Brong Ahafo Regional 1st Vice Chairman, Kwame Baffour popularly known as Abronye DC has fired the erstwhile John Mahama’s regime for using the GNPC as a conduit for money making venture to loot and share huge sums of money from the Corporation’s coffers.
In a recent release he said the current administration headed by Dr. K. K Sarpong must be commended for efficiently utilizing the Corporation’s funds and overwhelming transformation of the organisation.
He alleged that under the former President John Dramani Mahama, the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, initiated a policy called ‘Capacity Building’ which they used as a money making venture to dupe Ghanaians and to also create, loot and share the petroleum money of the people of Ghana.
He continued that the Public Interest Account Committee (PIAC) report revealed that, in 2012 alone, NDC via the GNPC under the disguise of Capacity building spent 100 million Cedis.
“They also spent 20 million cedis in 2013 on this same capacity building” and continues alleging that, according to PIAC, GNPC in 2014 also spent 59 million on this same capacity building, and also, it is documented that, in 2015, the corporation spent 75 million cedis and in 2016, they spent 89 million cedis all on capacity building.
The maverick Kwame Baffour commended the current management for scrapping the alleged unscrupulous capacity building policy at the corporation having allocated those monies into government polices like Free SHS, 1 district 1 Factory.
He alleged that the former CEO of the Corporation, Mr. Alex Mould enriched himself with petroleum money.
Below is the full statement
DR K. K SARPONG HAS EFFICIENTLY UTILIZED THE FUNDS OF GNPC AND HAS OVERWHELMLY TRANSFORMED THE ORGANIZATION THUS MUST BE COMMENDED
GNPC UNDER JOHN MAHAMA The Incompetent One (MR. TIO) & NDC
It could be recalled that, during the NDC regime, particularly at the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, they initiated a policy called “Capacity Building” which they used as a money making venture to dupe the people of Ghana and to also create, loot and share the petroleum money of the people of Ghana.
The Public Interest Account Committee (PIAC) revealed that, in 2012 alone, NDC via the GNPC under the disguise of Capacity building spent 100 million Cedis.
They also spent 20 million cedis in 2013 on this same capacity building.
According to PIAC, GNPC in 2014 also spent 59 million on this same capacity building. Also, it is documented that, in 2015, the corporation spent 75 million cedis and in 2016, they spent 89 million cedis all on capacity building.
I do not know what this capacity building means. The NDC metamorphosed GNPC under the auspices of Mr. Alex Mould, the brother of Betty Mould Iddrisu who was the then CEO into a money making venture by initiating scandalous policies such as this capacity building to create, loot and share the petroleum money of the state.
According to the Public Interest and Accounts Committee, It is important to note that, all the projects listed and captured in the 2013/2014 Petroleum Reconsiliation Report does not exist. Infact they are all Ghost Projects. Now the question is where did our money vanish to?
GNPC UNDER DR. K. K SARPONG AND PREZ. AKUFFO ADDO
Now, under the leadership of Dr. K. K Sarpong at GNPC, He has scrapped off the scandalous capacity building policy at the corporation but has rather allocated those monies into government polices like Free SHS, 1 district 1 Factory.
Alex Mould the then CEO enriched himself with petroleum money.
For the Avoidance of doubts I would like to mention a few projects and investments made with the petroleum money under DR. K. K Sarpong.
1. Payment of 1no. 6-unit classroom block at Berekum M/A Basic School
2. Payment for 3 unit classroom block at Tanoso D/A Primary and 6 unit classroom block at seem H HNIWIASO Anglican Primary.
3. Payment for 6 unit classroom block at Kanvil Tunayili Primary
4. Payment of 1 no. 6 unit classroom block at Adawu-Mensah-Sefwi Akontombra
5. Payment of 1no. 6-unit classroom block at Baniekrom D/A Primary
6. Payment for the construction of 1 no.6 unit classroom block at Adwunmakase
7. Payment in respect of final payment of second tranche for free the implementation of Free SHS wealth GhS 100,000,000.00
8. Payment for Free SHS for the 3rd Term 2017/2018 academic year Costing GhS 314,643,349.65 9. Etc…..
1. Modernisation of the location workshops complex and the training school at Ghana Railway Company Limited.
2. Rehabilitation of Kojokrom Tarkwa Railway lines (Narrow Gauge)
3. Kojokrom-Tarkwa rehabilitation works
4. Supply of sixty thousand treated wooden sleepers for the rehabilitation of Accra -Nsawam railway line (narrow guage)
5. Supply of 36,000 cubic meters of ballast for the rehabilitation of the track works for the Accra-Nsawam railway line
6. Refurbishment/supply of office equipments to support the provision of rail infrastructure.
*ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE*
1. Funds for the construction and completion of office complex for the Association of Regulatory Bodies at Ridge, Accra
2. Funds for the construction of CHPS compound at lito in the Central Gonja District for MoH
3. Release of funds for the construction of 4-unit classroom block and female hostel at Agogo Nursing Training School
4. Release of funds for the construction of chps compound at Hofedo
5. Release of funds for the construction of health centres at Asawinso-Western Region.
6. Release of funds for the construction and completion of office complex for Association of Regulatory Bodies Ridge
7. Release of funds for the construction of CHPS compound at Suke in the Lambussie Karni District.
8. Release of funds for the construction of CHPS compound at Alavanyo Dzogbed.
9. Construction of CHPS compound at Tunayill.
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE
1. Payment for Tono Irrigation Project: Rehabilitation of Link Road Extension Works
2. Payment for Irrigation Infrastructure at Uwasi in the Upper East Region
3. Construction and supervision of civil works at Mprumem Irrigation Project
4. Design & Construction Supervision of Civil Works at Tamne Irrigation Project and Prefeasibility Studies at Kpli Irrigation Project
5. Prefeasibility Studies and Design & Construction Supervision at Kamba and Sabare Irrigation Projects
6. Rehabilitation of warehouse and anciliarry facilities in the Ashanti Region
7. Rehabilitation of warehouse and anciliarry facilities in the Brong Ahafo Region
9. Construction of Irrigation Infrastructure at Aditrase and Kornole in the Yilo Krobo, Eastern Region
10. Payment for Rehabilitation of Irrigation Project at Piiyiri
11. Construction and Supervision of Civil Works at Amate Irrigation Project
12. Supply and installation of Irrigation Solar Water pump for YIA .
FISHERIES AND AQUA CULTURE
Payment for 2 Storey Hostel Block for the Anomabo Fisheries College
As part of the social responsibilities of the corporation, to enhance development and raise the living standards of people, the following are a few projects and achievements which have been stalked by the Dr. K. K. Sarpong led GNPC. 1. GNPC under Dr. K. K Sarpong funded and commissioned an ultra modern Burns Center at the Korle Bu hospital.
2. Over 900 university students benefitted from the GNPC scholarship in 2018.
3. GNPC has also funded a laboratory project at University of Energy And Natural Resources in 2018.
4. GNPC also supported 4 universities in Ghana with about $1million.
This is just to mention a few of the achievements of Dr. K. K Sarpong at the GNPC within only 2 years in office as CEO. It is an indisputable fact that Dr. K. K Sarpong has transformed GNPC with the help of his able board within a short period. I am overwhelmingly amazed at his commitment and therefore, i think Dr. Sarpong deserves the commendation and applause of Ghanaians.
However, I have noticed with great surprise as to how some people have decided to peddle falsehood, lies and cooked stories against Dr. K. K Sarpong and other CEO’s in the Oil and petroleum industry just to render them infamous and to paint them as negative people. Why have the CEO’s in the oil and petroleum organisations such as BOST, NPA GNPC, TOR, etc..become a target for liars and people who cook fake and untrue stories?
Finally, I am convinced that, with the kind of leadership of Dr. K. K Sarpong and with the help of Ghanaians, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel.