Two arrested after Sala ‘post-mortem image’ posted online
A man and a woman have been arrested by detectives after an image purporting to show footballer Emiliano Sala’s post-mortem examination was posted on Twitter.
Police began an investigation on February 13 after becoming aware of the image, which was removed.
It had already been circulated extensively on social media, however.
It is understood to show Sala’s torso, with a distinctive tattoo on his arm, mid-examination.
View image on Twitter
Here’s our statement regarding an investigation into the publication of a post mortem photo of Emiliano Sala. We’d ask anyone who comes across this photo, or any photo purporting to show this, not share it as it’s adding further distress to his family. https://t.co/bYFzoZSjVO pic.twitter.com/xlmF8GjRhc
— Wiltshire Police (@wiltshirepolice) April 29, 2019
A 48-year-old woman from Corsham, Wiltshire was arrested on suspicion of unauthorised access to computer material and malicious communications, and has since been released on conditional bail.
A 62-year-old man from Calne, Wiltshire, was also arrested on suspicion of unauthorised access to computer material, and has been released under investigation.
They were arrested on February 18, but it was only made public on Monday following a story in the Sunday Mirror.
Sala, 28, had just signed for Cardiff City when the private plane he was travelling in crashed into the English Channel north of Guernsey on January 21. His body was recovered from the wreckage of the plane on February 6.
Pilot David Ibbotson’s body has not been found.
The post-mortem examination was carried out on February 7 at Holly Tree Lodge Mortuary in Dorset.
Linda Barker, head of bereavement services at Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council, said: “We have been working with Wiltshire and Dorset Police to ascertain how images from Holly Tree Lodge mortuary were obtained. Maintaining the private and respectful environment of the mortuary remains an absolute priority.”
Wiltshire Police said there was “no evidence to suggest a break-in at the mortuary, and no evidence to suggest that any staff from the mortuary, or indeed any other council employees, are involved in any wrongdoing”.
Detective Inspector Gemma Vinton said a “file of evidence was sent to the Crown Prosecution Service last week to consider whether criminal charges should be brought against the two individuals under investigation”.